If you or an electrician has performed work on your electrical service (i.e. upgrades, repairs, etc.), the completed work must be inspected by the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA). The ESA can be reached at 1-877-372-7233. For more information visit https://www.esasafe.com/
Safety is our number one priority. When working on electrical equipment, it is important that you too make safety a top priority. Before working on any electrical equipment on your property, put your safety first and schedule a Temporary Disconnect. To schedule a Temporary Disconnect, call 519-942-8000 and ask for our Engineering Department. The cost of a Temporary disconnect is $65 plus HST. Once the service has been disconnected, Orangeville Hydro will not re-energize the service until there has been an ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) inspection done by the local inspector, call 1.877.372.7233 to schedule a safety inspection for the day of your appointment. (Please note: an ESA inspection is required for any home improvements that involve modifications to your electrical service, as well as installation of siding and stucco)
Orangeville Hydro will permanently remove the service to any of our existing customers at no charge. If you require removal of a service, please complete and submit the Service Removal Form. The removal of the service is permanent. Therefore, all future servicing would be considered a new service and would be subject to all current regulations, inspections, and connection charges.
The Net Metering program is available to any Orangeville Hydro customer that generates electricity primarily for their own use from a renewable energy source. Net metering allows you to send electricity generated from a renewable energy source to Orangeville Hydro’s distribution system for a credit towards your electricity costs. Excess generation credits can be carried forward for a consecutive 12 month period to offset future electricity costs. Participation in the Net Metering Program is available to all Orangeville Hydro customers that meet all of the following conditions:
- The electricity is generated primarily for the customer’s own use;
- The electricity generated is conveyed to the customer’s own consumption point without reliance on the Orangeville Hydro’s distribution system;
- The electricity is solely generated from a renewable energy source (solar radiation).
If you would like to connect a Net Metering project to a CHEC LCD distribution system, please fill out the application form (the legacy microFIT Application Form). This from can be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to Orangeville Hydro, Attn: Engineering, 400 C Line, Orangeville, ON,L9W 3Z8. Application Process:
- Provide Orangeville Hydro with a complete Application Package:
- Application Form
- Single Line Diagram
- Site Layout
- Manufacturer’s Technical Specifications for the Inverter(s) and Solar Panels
- For projects that are accepted, Orangeville Hydro will provide an Offer to Connect (<10kW) or an Offer to Complete a Connection Impact Assessment (>10kW) within 15 days of receiving a complete application package. The Offer will include the details regarding Orangeville Hydro’s costs associated with the project. Please note, existing Residential Customers that switch to Net Metering can expect Orangeville Hydro’s costs to be in the range of $350-$500.
Interested in knowing more about Net Metering? Please see the available resources below. Ontario Energy Board: Information for renewable generators Ministry of Energy: Save on your energy bill with net metering Ontario Regulation 541/05: Net Metering CHEC Group: Distributed Generation Handbook Electrical Safety Authority: Electrical Guidelines for Inverter-Based Micro-Generating Facility
New Connection Request
If you need Orangeville Hydro service at a location that does not have an electrical connection (such as a new condo or housing development, or a new business), you will need to apply for a new electrical connection. For any new Hydro connection, the customer needs to fill out either a Residential Application or Commercial Application along with a Service Request Form for a service layout. A Security Deposit may also apply, contact our Customer Service Department at 519-942-8000 for more information.