1. Is there a deadline to apply for Tiered Pricing?
- No, you can sign up for Tiered pricing at any point. However, Tiered pricing can only take effect at the start of your billing period. Applications submitted 10 business days before the end of the month can be applied to the current month. Applications submitted any time after the 10 business day cut off, will be applied to the following months bill period
By way of example:
- *Submitting an application on November 17, 2020 will ensure that the entire month of November is billed on Tiered Pricing
- *Submitting an application on November 18, 2020 will result in Tiered pricing starting December, 1, 2020
2. If I switch to Tiered pricing do I have to remain on this price plan for the rest of the year?
- No. Customers have the liberty to switch between TOU and Tiered pricing at their leisure
3. What is the difference between Time-Of-Use and Tiered Pricing
- Under Time-Of-Use, you pay a different rate for electricity depending on the time of day and day of the week you consume it. TOU has three periods: off-peak (8.5c/kWh), mid-peak (11.9c/kWh) and on-peak (17.6c/kWh). More information about Time-Of-Use prices.
- Under Tiered, you can use a certain amount of electricity each month at a flat rate. Once that limit (called a threshold) is exceeded, a higher price applies. Residential customers can use 1000/kWh at the price of 10.1c, if they exceed 1000/kWh customers will pay 11.8c for additional electricity used. Small business/Non-residential customers can use 750/kWh at the price of 10.1c, if they exceed 750/kWh customers will pay 11.8c for additional electricity used.
4. How do I know if Tiered is the right choice for me?
- Your lifestyle will determine which electricity price plan, Tiered or Time-Of-Use, will work best for you. Use the Ontario Energy Board bill calculator to compare your bills, and access your electricity usage history on our Customer Connect portal
Customers who prefer the Tiered plan:
- Are home during the week days
- Wish to run dishwasher and laundry machines at their leisure (during the day)
- Routinely use less than 1000/kWh (or 600/kWh in the summer)
Customers who prefer the TOU plan:
- Are away from the house during the day time hours
- Usually wait till after 7pm or weekends to run the dishwasher or do laundry
- Do not want to be restricted/monitor their usage
Where can I find more information regarding TOU and Tiered pricing
- The OEB bill calculator to compare TOU and Tiered pricing.
- Our customer connect portal where you can access your electricity usage. If you do not have an account, you will need to register for a new one with your Account Number (found at the top of your bill) and your Meter Number (can also be found on your bill; example OV12345)
- To register for Tiered pricing or to switch back to TOU pricing please fill out the Election Form