How Does Net Metering Work?
To become a Net Metered customer, and before you install a renewable energy system, here are some things you will need to know.
- Excess generation credits can be carried forward for a consecutive 12-month period to offset future electricity costs
- Excess generation credits cannot be exchanged for monetary value
- To qualify, the electricity generated is conveyed to the customer’s own consumption point without reliance on Orangeville Hydro’s distribution system
- The electricity must generate from a renewable energy source (solar radiation).
Steps to Become a Net Metered Customer
- Contact an electrician, or representative of a Renewable Energy Technology company (solar, wind, water) to determine if Net Metering is possible
- Once a professional has confirmed, complete an Application Package (Application Package can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to Orangeville Hydro, Attn: Engineering, 400 C Line, Orangeville, ON,L9W 3Z8)
Single Line Diagram
Manufacturer’s Technical Specifications for the Inverter(s) and Solar Panels
- After the project is accepted, Orangeville Hydro will provide an Offer to Connect (<10kW) or an Offer to Complete a Connection Impact Assessment (>10kW) within 15 days of receiving a complete application package. The Offer will include the details regarding Orangeville Hydro’s costs associated with the project.
Please note, existing Residential Customers that switch to Net Metering can expect Orangeville Hydro’s costs to be in the range of $600-$800.
Interested in knowing more about Net Metering? Please see the available resources below.
Use the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) website to find a licensed contractor for the job.