If you or an electrician has performed work on your electrical service (i.e. upgrades, repairs, etc.), the completed work must be inspected by the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA). The ESA can be reached at 1-877-372-7233. For more information visit https://www.esasafe.com/
Safety is our number one priority. When working on electrical equipment, it is important that you too make safety a top priority. Before working on any electrical equipment on your property, put your safety first and schedule a Temporary Disconnect. To schedule a Temporary Disconnect, call 519-942-8000 and ask for our Engineering Department. The cost of a Temporary disconnect is $65 plus HST. Once the service has been disconnected, Orangeville Hydro will not re-energize the service until there has been an ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) inspection done by the local inspector, call 1.877.372.7233 to schedule a safety inspection for the day of your appointment. (Please note: an ESA inspection is required for any home improvements that involve modifications to your electrical service, as well as installation of siding and stucco)
Orangeville Hydro will permanently remove the service to any of our existing customers at no charge. If you require removal of a service, please complete and submit the Service Removal Form. The removal of the service is permanent. Therefore, all future servicing would be considered a new service and would be subject to all current regulations, inspections, and connection charges.
Net Metering allows a customer to generate their own electricity from a renewable source (solar, wind, water). Once that electricity is generated, Net Metering allows the customer to use all or some of their own generated electricity. If the customer uses less electricity than what is generated, the meter will send electricity back to Orangeville Hydro for a credit towards the next hydro bill.
To become a Net Metered customer- and before you install a renewable energy system, here are some things you will need to know.
- Excess generation credits can be carried forward for a consecutive 12-month period to offset future electricity costs
- Excess generation credits cannot be exchanged for monetary value
- To qualify, the electricity generated is conveyed to the customer’s own consumption point without reliance on Orangeville Hydro’s distribution system
- The electricity must generate from a renewable energy source (solar radiation).
Steps to become a Net Metered Customer
1. Contact an electrician, or representative of a Renewable Energy Technology company (solar, wind, water) to determine if Net Metering is possible
2. Once a professional has confirmed, complete an Application Package (Application Package can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to Orangeville Hydro, Attn: Engineering, 400 C Line, Orangeville, ON,L9W 3Z8)
- Application Form
- Single Line Diagram
- Site Layout
- Manufacturer’s Technical Specifications for the Inverter(s) and Solar Panels
3. After the project is accepted, Orangeville Hydro will provide an Offer to Connect (<10kW) or an Offer to Complete a Connection Impact Assessment (>10kW) within 15 days of receiving a complete application package. The Offer will include the details regarding Orangeville Hydro’s costs associated with the project.
Please note, existing Residential Customers that switch to Net Metering can expect Orangeville Hydro’s costs to be in the range of $600-$800.
Interested in knowing more about Net Metering? Please see the available resources below.
- Ministry of Energy: Save on your energy bill with net metering
- Ontario Regulation 541/05: Net Metering
- CHEC Group: Distributed Generation Handbook
- A Net Metering Guide
- Use the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) website to find a licensed contractor for the job
New Connection Request
If you need Orangeville Hydro service at a location that does not have an electrical connection (such as a new condo or housing development, or a new business), you will need to apply for a new electrical connection. For any new Hydro connection, the customer needs to fill out either a Residential Application or Commercial Application along with a Service Request Form for a service layout. A Security Deposit may also apply, contact our Customer Service Department at 519-942-8000 for more information.